Church of St. Nicholas
First mention of the existence of a church in Forlimpopoli dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari dates back to 1226. Probably destroyed in 1361, it was rebuilt in 1522 by the then lord of the town, Brunoro II Zampeschi. On his death, the church passed to his wife, Battistina Zampeschi, and then to the Savelli princes of Rome. In 1679 the church and annexed hospital were transferred to the Brotherhood of Good Death, also known as the Black Flagellants, who established their seat there. Between 1749 and 1751 two master craftsmen, Carlo Panzacchi of Ravenna and Tommaso Righini of Forlimpopoli, built the church’s magnificent cupola and began restoring and decorating the oratory. On the other hand, the altarpiece of The Virgin Mary in Glory with St. Rufillus and St. Catherine, now part of the municipal collections, is the work of Forlì-born artist Antonio Fanzaresi (1700-1772). In the early 20th century, when it had long been abandoned and was no longer officiated, the church was used as a warehouse and was finally sold to privates in 1919.